Thursday, May 16, 2013

Kansas City Rock the Parkway Half Marathon

I'm about a month behind on the blog, so please bear with me.

Last month I went to Kansas City for a girl's weekend.  I went with some girlfriends from Wayne State...Sarah, Jess, Jess (aka Huss) and Carrie.  Sarah, Jess and I were running a half marathon on Saturday morning.  We had been running and training together since late January.  The other 2 came along to cheer us on and have a good time!  We left on Friday afternoon and came home on Sunday afternoon.  It was hard being away from the girls, but this momma had a good time!
The main reason for the trip was to run...so here are the running details...
 
It was in the upper 30's at the start of the race which was a little chilly, but I knew I'd warm up quickly once I got started.  The race was run along Ward Parkway in KC, MO, which was a beautiful course.  I knew going into the race that I could potentially run a PR (personal record) for my half marathon time.  The course was mostly flat, except for an uphill in the first 3 miles and then again at mile 8.  Miles 11-13.1 were downhill.  I ran alone and Jess and Sarah ran together.  This was Jess's very first half marathon!

My finishing time was 1:48:10 (8:11 pace per mile) for 13.1 miles
Sarah and Jess finished in 2:03:38 (9:26 pace per mile)

I'd say we all Rocked the Parkway!
Jess and Sarah at the finish!
Near the finish
Taking a pic of Sarah and Jess as they finish
Do you see them?!
Me at the finish
Me, Jess and Sarah
Sarah and Jess post race
We did it!
 At the hotel bright and early in the morning before the race

 The rest of the trip was spend catching up, shopping, enjoying some adult beverages and eating some amazing food!  We ate at an Italian restaurant the first night in Overland Park, KS.  It was called NORTH.  After the race on Saturday, we cleaned up and headed to the Plaza.  We had some drinks, did some shopping and had some awesome food at Beer Kitchen in Westport.  If you are ever near the Plaza, I highly recommend this joint!  BEST BURGER EVER!  Saturday night we had a nice steak dinner at the Herferd House in Overland Park, and then we headed back towards the Plaza and attended at Red Bull event (Sarah works for Red Bull).  It was a great weekend (minus one cab ride) and I LOVE THESE GIRLS and can't wait to do it again!

Huss, Sarah, Jess, Carrie and me
 


 

 

 
 





 

No comments: